Trevor Carson back for Motherwell in 1-0 Scottish Premiership defeat to Aberdeen at Pittodrie

Trevor Carson after sustaining his injury against Hearts last Saturday
Trevor Carson after sustaining his injury against Hearts last Saturday

Just seven days after being stretchered off in agony during the 1-0 defeat to Hearts, Motherwell keeper Trevor Carson played all 90 minutes as 'Well lost by the same score to Aberdeen at Pittodrie on Saturday, writes Craig Goldthorp.

And the Steelmen - fielding Liam Donnelly, Elliott Frear and Conor Sammon in place of Curtis Main, Chris Cadden and Andy Rose - could hardly have got off to a worse start in the Granite City.
Striker James Wilson - on loan to the Dons from Manchester United, sent a low left footed shot past returning keeper Carson after just seven minutes following a brilliant Niall McGinn through ball.
Motherwell's Carl McHugh then sent a stunning 25-yard shot against the top of the bar after Sammon's pass inside, before the Steelmen had a penalty shout turned down following Andrew Considine's dubious looking challenge on Frear.
Play swung to the other end where McGinn went a free-kick just over Carson's crossbar.
Aberdeen's Sam Cosgrove then sent a looping header just wide from a Graeme Shinnie cross but the visitors kept battling and Danny Johnson had a shot deflected wide after a Richard Tait cross saw Gael Bigirimana's initial attempt blocked.
'Well defender Tom Aldred was booked for a foul on Sam Cosgrove, before blocking a shot from the same player in the final action of the opening 45 minutes.
In a rare error, Carson let a weak Mackay-Steven shot from distance in the 63rd minute go through him, but fortunately for Motherwell the ball went past the left post.
Aberdeen substitute Bruce Anderson wasted a great chance to put his team two up when he blasted the ball over from a great position after being set up by Shay Logan's fine burst forward.
A late Bigirimana corner saw McHugh and Aldred get in each other's way trying to win the header. The ball broke to Frear who went down under the challenge but referee Nick Walsh waved away the penalty appeals and booked Frear for diving.
Half-time substitute Chris Cadden was unlucky in the final minute of normal time when his fine snap shot from the edge of the box was brilliantly turned round the post by keeper Joe Lewis. Cadden's effort came after a long free-kick into the box by Bigirimana had been partially cleared.
The game fizzled out and Motherwell were left to contemplate a second successive 1-0 defeat.

Motherwell: Carson, Tait, McHugh, Aldred, Hartley (Turnbull 55), Campbell, Frear, Bigirimana, Sammon (Bowman 52), Donnelly (Cadden 45), Johnson.
Referee: Nick Walsh
Crowd: 14,027