Motherwell become first Colts side to reach Irn Bru Cup last eight after beating Sligo Rovers 2-0

Motherwell FC's reserves today made history by becoming the first Colts side to reach the last eight of the Irn Bru Cup, writes Craig Goldthorp.

Saturday, 13th October 2018, 5:54 pm
Updated Saturday, 13th October 2018, 8:12 pm
Motherwell's Jake Hastie celebrates after hitting the deflected opener. (Pics by Ian McFadyen)

Goals by Jake Hastie and Christian Mbulu gave 'Well a 2-0 home success over League of Ireland Premier Division outfit Sligo Rovers on a Fir Park pitch which was still like a bowling green despite being lashed by 30mm of rain overnight and the game earlier surviving a noon pitch inspection.Motherwell went 1-0 up on 12 minutes when Hastie cut inside on his left foot and scored with a low shot which appeared to take a deflection off defender Patrick McClean en route to goal.'Well's Kyle MacDonald then shot into the side netting on 23 minutes after a Broque Watson pass.Sligo's very own Jimmy Bullard lookalike, Ryhs McCabe, stung the palms of 'Well keeper Rohan Ferguson with a powerful 37th minute shot from outside the box.And Sligo went close on 43 minutes when David Cawley's cross from the right was nodded off target by Mikey Drennan, so the score remained 1-0 at half-time.The young Steelmen's David Turnbull struck a rasping 25-yard drive which was touched over by keeper Edward McGinty on 52 minutes.There was a sad sight on 56 minutes when Sligo's McClean was stretchered off after coming off worse when sliding for the ball with Livingstone, who was uninjured. Ironically, the challenge resulted in a free-kick being awarded to Motherwell.James Scott had a shot deflected wide for the hosts before Hastie produced a brilliant run down the left flank and Turnbull's cross just evaded 'Well's forward line in the centre.Rovers' David Cawley produced a brilliant curling shot from 20 yards which went just wide of the right post on the hour mark.Livingstone then made McGinty stretch to save after collecting a short Brown corner and lofting the ball towards the back post.Watson shot weakly at McGinty after a slick move involving Rehman and MacDonald.But the Steelmen scored a sensational second on 71 minutes when Mbulu took took a Livingstone pass, jinked past a defender and slammed the ball into the top corner with his the outside of his right foot.It was nearly 3-0 on 82 minutes when Turnbull sent a great chance wide after a pass inside by sub Jordan Armstrong.Sligo kept plugging away and wasted a couple of great chances late on.Drennan had a shot blocked by Mbulu at the expense of a corner, which when sent over by McCabe saw John Mahon head over from a great position.McCabe then produced a great run but inexplicably elected to pass to Twardek instead of shoot and the number 14's effort was again blocked by Mbulu.Motherwell Colts: Ferguson, MacDonald, Livingstone, Maguire, Mbulu, Brown, Watson, Turnbull, Scott, Hastie, Rehman (Armstrong 67).Referee: Richard HulmeCrowd: 950

Motherwell's Christian Mbulu is mobbed by team-mates after hitting the second goal. (Pic by Ian McFadyen)
Motherwell Colts gaffer Stephen Craigan