’Well fourth after late Caley win

Motherwell match winner Marvin Johnson (Pic by Alan Watson)
Motherwell match winner Marvin Johnson (Pic by Alan Watson)

Motherwell moved up to fourth in the Scottish Premiership after a dramatic last gasp 2-1 win at Inverness Caley on Saturday.

Marvin Johnson’s composed 93rd minute finish put ’Well above St Johnstone and looking odds on to finish in the top six.

In a largely forgetable first half, Motherwell threatened in the fourth minute when Johnson collected a throw-in and sent in a shot which went through two sets of legs before going through to keeper Owain Fon Williams.

Much turgid fare followed before ‘Well came agonisingly close to taking the lead on 33 minutes when Scott McDonald headed just wide from Stevie Hammell’s free-kick from the right.

Caley’s Carl Tremarco was booked for a 43rd minute foul on Chris Cadden, leading to a free-kick in a dangerous position on the right.

But Hammell’s subsequent delivery sailed over Louis Moult at the back post and out for a goal kick.

The best chance of the opening 45 minutes came at the other end when Thistle’s Miles Storey headed narrowly wide after Andrea Mutombo’s cross from the left in the final action of the first half.

Mutombo then shot wide from outside the box on 48 minutes before ‘Well gaffer Mark McGhee made a double substitution with Lionel Ainsworth and Jack Leitch replacing Cadden and Gomis.

’Well’s Louis Moult flicked a 60th minute header wide from Johnson’s free-kick before the visitors went ahead in bizarre fashion just two minutes later.

After Fon Williams had fumbled Johnson’s cross from the left, McDonald laid the ball back for Ainsworth to send in a high, looping shot which was fumbled over the line by Fon Williams.

The goal sparked delirium in the away end, with the Well Bois belting out Beatles hit Twist and Shout.

But there was then a 70th minute sickener for Motherwell when Iain Vigurs equalised from the penalty spot after Keith Lasley’s needless foul on Ross Draper.

And Caley almost went ahead a minute later when Tremarco volleyed inches wide at the far post after a long diagonal ball.

Caley were then the better team for a spell as Tremarco was foiled by a last ditch Kieran Kennedy tackle, Vigurs shot over from 30 yards and Warren headed straight at ’Well keeper Connor Ripley from close range.

The dramatic winning goal came deep into injury time when Johnson placed home his shot from an Ainsworth pass after a quick breakaway.