’Well draw 2-2 in Hearts thriller

Marvin Johnson strikes home 'Well's second goal against Hearts (Pic by Alan Watson)
Marvin Johnson strikes home 'Well's second goal against Hearts (Pic by Alan Watson)

Last Saturday’s 2-2 Scottish Premiership draw between Motherwell and Hearts was a thrilling advert for Scottish football played in atrocious wet and windy conditions.

The strong breeze played havoc in the very first minutewhen Hearts skipper Blazej Augustyn’s attempted backpass fell short of Neil Alexander but ’Well striker Louis Moult’s shot was saved by the Hearts keeper.

But Moult had only seconds to wait to put ’Well in front. After winning an aerial battle with Alexander at the back post – a challenge which Hearts felt was a foul – MOULT turned to see the ball on the goal line and gleefully smacked it into the empty net.

But ’Well’s lead lasted just seven minutes as Juanma Delgado chipped over Connor Ripley into the net with the home defence looking static.

It nearly got worse four minutes later when Kieran Kennedy’s short backpass was seized upon by Osman Sow, whose effort was well saved by Ripley.

’Well hit back with Marvin Johnson’s 14th minute cross from the left setting up Stephen Pearson, whose shot was blocked.

Aussie hitman Scott McDonald then failed to put the hosts in front when he shot into the side netting after another Johnson run and cross.

Augustyn headed a gilt edged chance wide from a Hearts free-kick before Ripley made a great save from Paterson’s header after another setpiece delivery.

A thrilling first half ended with a Johnson cross fizzing across the Hearts goal, the same player shooting straight at Alexander from a Law cross and a penalty shout denied when Pearson was downed.

McDonald had a 61st minute shot saved after Moult’s pass, before ’Well went ahead in fine style when Johnson shot home with his left foot after a great run.

But the lead lasted only a minute as Sow ran through before scoring with a stunning 25-yard shot which dipped in.

Hearts dominated the latter stages and could have won it on 82 minutes when Sow’s shot was saved before the rebound was blasted over from 10 yards by Sam Nicholson.

So it ended 2-2 in as exciting a game as Motherwell have been involved in all season.

Motherwell: Ripley, Hammell, Grimshaw, McManus, Pearson, Johnson (Ainsworth 68), Lasley, Kennedy, Law, Moult, McDonald (Robinson 84).

Hearts: Alexander, Paterson, Augustyn, Sow, Nicholson, Pallardo, Djoum, Oshaniwa (McGhee 61), Rossi, Delgado, Swanson (Buaben 68).

Crowd: 5141

Referee: Steven McLean