More late woe as ’Well let lead slip

Nicky Law was on the scoresheet at Pittodrie
Nicky Law was on the scoresheet at Pittodrie

MOTHERWELL are a point clear top of the SPL despite blowing a 3-1 lead at Pittodrie on Sunday.

Last month they lost an injury time equaliser to St Mirren which cost them victory and history would repeat itself here.

Manager Stuart McCall made one change from the side who beat Dundee last week with Henrik Ojamaa in from the start at the expense of Jamie Murphy.

There hadn’t been a goal at Pittodrie since May, but after three goalless home draws so far this season it took just six minutes for Aberdeen to rectify that.

’Well were caught sleeping at a short corner and Johnny Hayes clipped the ball in for GAVIN RAE to head past Darren Randolph.

The goal took the wind out of the visitors’ sails, but they are nothing if not resilient and Nicky Law tried to drag his team back into the match, going close twice.

First he played a one-two with Ojamaa and his deflected shot off Mark Reynolds went wide before a curling effort just missed the left hand post.

Ojamaa himself tested Jamie Langfield with a low shot after a passing build up that showed the Fir Parkers at their best.

Four minutes from the break the equaliser came as Michael Higdon scored his seventh of the season.

Stevie Hammell’s free kick was headed down by Shaun Hutchinson to Fraser Kerr, his shot was blocked by Langfield and the ball rolled kindly for HIGDON to slide into the net.

Three minutes into the second half ’Well took the lead as Tom Hateley’s corner was met by HUTCHINSON on the edge of the six yard box and his downward header found its way past the defenders on the line.

Hateley slipped in Ojamaa who was denied as Langfield made himself as big as possible, but it wasn’t all one way traffic as Scott Vernon’s backheel to Ryan Fraser set him up for a curling effort that went very close.

Hayes once again found Rae in the box, but this time his header was wide, while Law’s appeal for a penalty after being tugged back by Isaac Osbourne was dismissed by referee Bobby Madden.

However, LAW was all smiles on 81 minutes as he looked to have made the game safe, getting the final touch after Kerr’s header from another Hateley corner was aimed goalwards by substitute Murphy.

Three minutes later Dons pulled one back as Fraser found NIALL McGINN unmarked in the box to make it 3-2 with his head, and in an amazing finale the home side secured a point.

The clock had used up virtually every second of the three minutes of injury time when Andrew Considine slashed the ball in the rough direction of the goal and JOSH MAGENNIS was on hand to turn it in.

Aberdeen: Langfield, Magennis, Anderson, Reynolds, Considine, Jack (Smith 80), Rae (Osbourne 63), Hughes, Fraser, Vernon (McGinn 63), Hayes. Subs not used: Brown, Robertson, Clark, Megginson.

Motherwell: Randolph, Hammell, Law, Hutchinson, Hateley, Humphrey, Ojamaa (Murphy 79), Higdon, Lasley, Kerr, Cummins. Subs not used: Hollis, Ramsden, Daley, Carswell, Francis-Angol, Erwin.

Referee: Bobby Madden.

Attendance: 8,577.