Late sickener for ’Well at Ibrox

Kenny Miller put Motherwell to the sword in the final minute (Pic by Michael Gillen)
Kenny Miller put Motherwell to the sword in the final minute (Pic by Michael Gillen)

There was a sickening last minute defeat for Motherwell as they went down 2-1 to Rangers in a Scottish Premiership clash at Ibrox on Saturday.

Motherwell - keen to recover from losing their previous two games - started promisingly and Marvin Johnson blazed the ball over after a fine move.

But it was Rangers who then wasted a wonderful scoring chance when Killy Miller blazed over left footed after Lionel Ainsworth had given the ball away.

Harry Forrester had two shots wide for Rangers before Ainsworth shot off target at the other end after a long punt by keeper Craig Samson.

But the visitors stunned the capacity home crowd by taking the lead after 18 minutes when Scott McDonald tapped home his first league goal of the season after Johnson’s run and cross from the left.

And it was almost 2-0 on 20 minutes when midfielder Craig Clay volleyed inches wide after Johnson’s set-up.

A bizarre incident then saw Johnson almost get his name on the scoresheet when a clearance from Rangers keeper Foderingham in front of the home goal hit the Motherwell winger and rebounded well over.

A Halliday header off target and Tavernier shot wide signalled Rangers intent in the second half before ‘Well almost went two up on 51 minutes when Foderingham saved brilliantly from McDonald’s volley.

And the hosts were soon to rub salt in Motherwell wounds with a 63rd minute equaliser which was tough on Samson. He saved brilliantly from Miller’s shot but was helpess as Forrester fired in the rebound.

A sublime through ball by Gers sub Niko Kranjcar had initially sent Miller through for his chance.

In an all action second half, Motherwell went close on 78 minutes when Johnson’s left footed drive from outside the box was stopped by Foderingham high to his right.

Rangers sub Dodoo shot into the side netting on 81 minutes but the hosts won it in dramatic style in the first minute of stoppage time when Tavernier’s cross from the right was half cleared to Miller who shot home clinically to banish memories of his first half miss and leave ‘Well followers gutted.

Despite the defeat, if Motherwell keep playing as well as this – their passing was excellent and they worked extremely hard when they didn’t have the ball – then they will surely pick up some points which will have them pushing for a top six place for a second straight year.