’Well never know they are beaten

John Sutton heads in the injury time equaliser
John Sutton heads in the injury time equaliser

A last minute John Sutton header rescued a point for Motherwell at Easter Road as the Fir Park injury crisis deepens.

Joining the casualty list this week were goalkeeper Gunnar Nielsen, winger Zaine Francis-Angol and midfielder Stuart Carswell.

Lewis Stevenson challenges for the ball. Pic: Ian Georgeson

Lewis Stevenson challenges for the ball. Pic: Ian Georgeson

Striker Craig Moore was fit enough to take a place on the bench, as was Stevie Hammell, however Grant Murray made his first ’Well start at left back.

Despite ’Well missing nearly an entire team of players they took just 12 minutes to take the lead.

James McFadden slipped in Lionel Ainsworth and his low cross for prodded in by SUTTON at the back post.

Danny Haynes and James Collins both failed to hit the target from good positions as Hibs hunted an equaliser, but were further punished on 29 minutes.

AINSWORTH picked the ball up and glided away from Michael Nelson before curling it beyond Ben Williams.

Two minutes from half-time Hibs pulled one back as Jordon Forster nodded in a Paul Cairney cross.

Cairney himself had a great chance to makes the teams level at the break, but Lee Hollis did just enough to turn the ball round the post.

Hollis was the hero again just after the break turning Collins’s flick onto the post and then gathering an awkward bouncer as the striker fluffed the rebound.

‘Well withdrew Ainsworth and McFadden for Moore and Chris Cadden, and Hibs seized on this to take control.

On 76 minutes Cairney’s corner was met by NELSON at the back post, his header hit the underside of the bar and was pushed away by Hollis , but referee Steven McLean said it had crossed the line.

The comeback seemed complete three minutes later as Cairney fed substitute PAUL HEFFERNAN and he lifted the ball over Hollis.

However, ’Well don’t know when they’re beaten and battled right to the end to fashion an equaliser.

A minute into injury time, Iain Vigurs threw the ball into the box leading to an almighty scramble.

Sutton had a shot blocked as did Cadden on the rebound ,but persistent paid off and the ball looped up invitingly for SUTTON to head in.

Hibernian: Williams, McGivern, Hanlon, Nelson, Craig, Cairney (Handling 84), Collins, Stevenson (Harris 66), Forster, Stanton, Haynes (Heffernan 75). Subs not used: Murdoch, Boateng, Maybury, Cummings.

Motherwell: Hollis, Reid, Hutchinson, McManus, Mcfadden (Cadden 74), Sutton, Vigurs, Lasley, Murray, Ainsworth (Moore 70), Leitch. Subs not used: Stewart, Hammell, Shirkie, Thomas, Neil.

Referee: Steven McLean.

Attendance: 8,277.