’Well hit self destruct button on trip north

Motherwell hit the self destruct button as they blew a first half lead to leave Pittodrie empty handed on Friday night.

’Well boss Ian Baraclough stuck with the same side who had drawn with Kilmarnock the week before.

Lee Erwin hasn’t scored since the opening day of the league season, but Baraclough seems to have faith in the youngster, once again selecting him ahead of John Sutton.

Erwin had the first chance of the game as he headed down the left channel, but his shot was straight at Jamie Langfield when a pass to Scott McDonald might have been a better option.

At the other end Ryan Jack’s dipping volley from distance was comfortable for George Long, while Kenny McLean found space in the box but blasted over.

Conor Grant has shown good ability since arriving on loan from Everton and his neat ball round the corner gave Erwin another sight of goal, but from the angle he sliced well wide.

Erwin then had another great chance as Andrew Considine’s tackle on McDonald accidentally set up a one -on-one, but Langfield made himself big and then Ash Taylor denied Marvin Johnson on the follow up.

McLean should probably have given the Dons the lead as Niall McGinn’s cross was cut out by Stephen McManus, Keith Lasley got little on the ball as he tried to complete the clearance and with the whole goal to aim at the former St Mirren man put the ball wide.

McDONALD grabbed his first goal since returning to Fir Park last week and he made it number two on 37 minutes as he showed a deft touch to direct Erwin’s shot past Langfield.

’Well had the lead and had Long to thank for keeping it as he did well to deny a McLean downward header.

Unfortunately Long didn’t do so well five minutes into the second half as the home side grabbed an equaliser.

He actually did brilliantly to twist his body backwards to keep out Taylor’s header from a McGinn corner, but as he landed LONG punched the ball into his own net.

Two minutes later and another disaster, Shay Logan’s long ball forward seemed harmless enough.

Louis Lang was aiming to just nod it back to Long, but the ’keeper had strayed too far from his goal and was left helpless as the ball beat him and ADAM ROONEY had the easy job of scoring a tap in.

Despite being the masters of their own downfall ’Well kept going but neither McDonald’s shot from the edge of the box or Erwin’s header were sufficiently troubling for Langfield.

A Grant corner did cause some issues in the box and was only half cleared, but McLean arrived to block as quickly as Lasley could get the shot away.

David Goodwillie continues to look a shadow of his former self and that is fortunate for the visitors as the former Dundee United striker broke clear, but then the less said about his final effort the better.

Baraclough refused to give up and sent on Lionel Ainsworth, John Sutton and Dom Thomas in a bid to boost his attacking options, but just as Killie had been the week before Aberdeen proved too tough a nut to crack for ’Well to find a second goal.

However, despite the defeat ’Well suffered only minimal punishment from their relegation rivals the next day as St Mirren lost to Kilmarnock and Ross County drew with Hamilton Accies.

Aberdeen: Langfield, Taylor, Daniels (Pawlett 35) (Robertson 90), Reynolds, McGinn, Logan, Jack, McLean, Considine, Rooney, Goodwillie (Robson 78 ). Subs not used: Smith, Brown, Shankland, Driver.

Motherwell: Long, Law, Laing, McManus, Straker, Grant (Ainsworth 65 ), Lasley, Pearson, Johnson (Sutton 77 ), McDonald, Erwin (Thomas 86 ). Subs not used: Ramsden, Twardzik, O’Brien, Moore.

Referee: Crawford Allan.

Attendance: 13,267.