’Well demolish sorry Saints

Lee Erwin struck twice
Lee Erwin struck twice

Lee Erwin goals are like buses, you wait ages for one to come along and then three show up within the space of two games.

Having broke his eight-month drought against Kilmarnock the striker set Motherwell on the road to sweeping sorry St Mirren aside.

It took Erwin just seven minutes to give ’Well the lead as Lionel Ainsworth got to the byeline and ERWIN swivelled to turn the ball into the bottom corner.

Marco Ridgers did well to turn a Marvin Johnson volley round the post and from the resultant Ainsworth corner Stephen McManus’s free header was off target.

However, on 20 minutes ERWIN doubled the home side’s advantage as he gathered Ainsworth’s shot and held off Viktor Genev to turn and fire into the net.

The hosts then thought they had a penalty as referee Craig Thomson pointed to the spot after Johnson was bundled over in the box, but he had already been flagged offside.

In injury time at the end of the half ’Well claimed a third as Ainsworth turned Sean Kelly inside out and his cross found Johnson at the back post whose neat cut back was passed into the net by SCOTT McDONALD.

The game was over as a contest, but St Mirren boss Gary Teale threw on Steven Thompson and Gregg Wylde at half-time in a bid to salvage something.

However, all this did was leave gaps at the back which had they been more ruthless ’Well would have done a lot more to exploit.

This was typified as ’Well broke three on one, but the lone defender Marc McAusland produced a great tackle on Ainsworth before he could send an unmarked teammate clear.

At the other end McAusland almost found the net with a downward header, but George Long produced a great save.

On 71 minutes JOHN SUTTON was sent on for Erwin and took just three minutes to find the net as he headed in a Johnson free-kick.

Stevie Mallan hit the post for the visitors and then just to rub salt into the wound ’Well grabbed a fifth on 79 minutes.

Dom Thomas turned Jim Goodwin and his shot was palmed out by Ridgers into the path of McDonald, his shot was blocked on the line by Genev, but SUTTON was following up.

Motherwell: Long, Law, Laing, McManus, Straker, Ainsworth (Thomas 75), Lasley, Pearson (Grant 64), Johnson, McDonald, Erwin (Sutton 71). Subs not used: Ramsden, Twardzik, O’Brien, Moore.

St Mirren: Ridgers, Naismith, McAusland, Genev, Kelly, Goodwin (Brown 83), Dayton (Wylde 45), Sadlier (Thompson 45), Mallan, McGinn, Arquin. Subs not used: Gow, Reilly, Sonupe, Wilks.

Referee: Craig Thomson.

Attendance: 4,596.