’Well bow out of the Scottish Cup

Dan Twardzik denied United time and time again
Dan Twardzik denied United time and time again

Motherwell’s interest in the Scottish Cup ended on Saturday as Dundee United came from behind to claim victory at Fir Park.

Things started really promisingly for the home side as they took the lead after just seven minutes with HENRIK OJAMAA beating Radoslaw Cierzniak with a low shot from the edge of the box.

United almost hit back immediately as Chris Erskine played in Gary Mackay-Steven but Dan Twardzik rushed out to block.

Josh Law could have made it 2-0 as Zaine Francis-Angol picked him out from the left, but his header was straight at Cierzniak.

Stuart Armstrong came within inches of an equaliser as he played a one-two with Erskine, but slipped the ball inches wide.

Law had another go, this time from distance, but again could only fire his effort straight at Cierzniak as play immediately went to the other end as Armstrong slipped in Ryan Dow who was denied by Twardzik’s legs.

’Well clung to their precious lead until the break, but three minutes after the restart were dealt a blow as Paul Lawson’s horrible luck with injuries continued and he was forced off with a calf strain, being replaced by Craig Reid.

Erskine was proving a real threat for United and Twardzik had to beat away his powerful shot and the ’keeper was called into action again as Erskine’s through ball found Mackay-Steven, but Twardzik saved.

However, on 66 minutes the equaliser came as JOHN SOUTTAR was left unmarked to head in an Armstrong corner.

United substitute Calum Butcher then robbed Simon Ramsden on the edge of the box, but Twardzik won the duel and did so again as Armstrong broke clear and tried to round the Czech stopper.

However, for all Twardzik’s heroics he couldn’t stop the visitors taking the lead as Conor Townsend crossed from the left and KEITH WATSON got the better of Francis-Angol to nod in.

’Well threw everything forward to try to force a replay and two minutes into stoppage time Iain Vigurs flicked on to John Sutton, but he was always under the ball and headed over.

Motherwell: Twardzik, Ramsden, McManus, Lawson (Reid 48), Sutton, Vigurs, Lasley, O’Brien, Francis-Angiol (Kerr 82), Law (Erwin 76), Ojamaa. Subs not used: Nielsen, Ainsworth, Thomas, Cadden.

Dundee United: Cierzniak, Dillon, Townsend, Souttar, Watson, Paton, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven (Connolly 62), Erskine (Adeyemo 85), Dow, Telfer (Butcher 46). Subs not used: Szromnik, Lochhead, Spittal, Spark.

Attendance: 4,827.

Referee: Craig Thomson.