’Well are unable to hold on to lead

Lionel Ainsworth
Lionel Ainsworth
Share this article

Motherwell went down to their fifth straight defeat as St Johnstone came from behind to win at McDiarmid Park on Friday.

’Well took the lead in 13 minutes as Iain Vigurs robbed Michael O’Halloran at the edge of the box.

Henrik Ojamaa’s through ball wasn’t controlled by Brian Easton and LIONEL AINSWORTH lashed the ball into the net.

The visitors looked to have some swagger about them as it appeared their season might finally be turning a corner.

Vigurs and Ojamaa were running the show with the St Johnstone defence unable to match Ainsworth’s movement as he continually drifted from the right to the middle.

Clear cut chances were at a premium, though space opened up for Stevie Hammell to drag a shot wide.

At the other end another full-back went close as Dave Mackay lashed the ball from a wide angle.

Five minutes before half-time an equaliser came against the run of play after Ojamaa did great to retain possession in the box and set up Ainsworth.

Ainworth’s fierce shot was block by Alan Mannus and St Johnstone broke up the other end with O’Halloran leading the charge.

O’HALLORAN played a neat one-two with Lee Croft and had time and space to slot the ball past Dan Twardzik.

Right on half-time Ojamaa played in Ainsworth, he aimed to curl the ball into the corner but it drifted wide.

The second half saw Mannus continue his personal duel with Ainsworth as he saved the winger’s angled shot following a quick ’Well break.

The Fir Park side had Twardzik to thank for keeping them level as he palmed away Frazer Wright’s powerful header.

However ten minutes from time Saints did take the lead as McFadden found O’Halloran at the edge of the box.

Fraser Kerr slipped taking both himself and Stephen McManus out of the game and O’HALLORAN dribbled away from Keith Lasley before tucking the ball away.

In injury time ’Well fashioned one last chance for an equaliser as substitute Josh Law played a one-two with Sutton, but from 25 yards his shot was high and wide.

St Johnstone: Mannus, Mackay, Anderson, Wright, B Easton, Croft (Miller 89), Millar, McDonald, O’Halloran, Graham, McFadden (Caddis 85). Subs not used: Banks, Morgan, Brown, Gilchrist, Easton.

Motherwell: Twardzik, Francis-Angol (Erwin 82), McManus, Ramsden, Hammell (O’Brien 85), Ainsworth, Kerr, Lasley, Vigurs (Law 88), Ojamaa, Sutton. Subs not used: Nielsen, Reid, Carswell, McHugh.

Referee: Kevin Clancy.

Attendance: 2,531.