’Well are at rock bottom with loss

Craig Moore made his first start of the season
Craig Moore made his first start of the season

Motherwell hit rock bottom on Saturday as defeat to Dundee left them in last place in the Scottish Premiership table.

The influx of new faces in the January transfer window have done little to reverse ’Well’s dismal fortunes as they still seek their first win of 2015.

Last time Dundee were at Fir Park they scored in just two minutes, but were made to wait a little longer this time to take the lead.

On 12 minutes PAUL McGINN mishit a cross from the right that sailed over the head of George Long and into the net.

Lee Erwin is still searching for his first goal since August and came close with a shot from range that was just wide.

At the other end Paul McGowan came even closer to doubling the visitor’s lead, but his curling effort just missed the top corner.

Craig Moore was given his first start of the season and did well to find Erwin in the box with a low cross, but as the striker desperately tried to find space his shot was blocked by James McPake.

Greg Stewart gave ’Well a torrid time at Dens Park last month and he was lively here too being slipped in by Jim McAlister, but his shot was parried behind by Long.

On 37 minutes Dundee might have had a penalty as Louis Laing appeared to shove Paul McGinn in the box, but referee Don Robertson gave the home side the benefit of the doubt.

Three minutes from half time the home side were dealt a blow as Marvin Johnson was forced off with an ankle knock.

Almost immediately his replacement Nathan Thomas was felled at the edge of the box by Willie Dyer, but Conor Grant put the free kick into the wall.

At the start of the second half it was Grant’s turn to be fouled at the edge of the box, Erwin took responsibility for the free kick, but put it over.

Long did well to deny Stewart from Alex Harris’s cutback and then the ’keeper touched the ball away from the feet of Stewart on one of the many times Harris tormented Straker down the wing.

A quick break from a Dundee corner allowed Moore to send Nathan Thomas one-on-one with Dyer, but the winger lost control and Dyer snuffed out the danger and with it ’Well last serious threat.

Motherwell: Long, Ramsden, McManus, Sutton (Ainsworth 73), Lasley, Erwin, Moore (D Thomas 58), Johnson (N Thomas 42), Straker, Laing, Grant. Subs not used: Twardzik, Carswell, Law, Kerr.

Dundee: Bain, Dyer, Konrad, McPake, Thomson, Stewart (Clarkson 83), McGowan (Harkins 80), P McGinn, McAlister, Harris, S McGinn. Subs not used: Letheren, McBride, Black, Wighton, Allan.

Referee: Don Robertson.

Attendance: 4,282.