Thorniewood’s form slump continues

Thorniewood v Irvine Vics. Kieron McIntyre fires home a free-kick for Thorniewood's goal (pic by Drew Russell)
Thorniewood v Irvine Vics. Kieron McIntyre fires home a free-kick for Thorniewood's goal (pic by Drew Russell)

Thorniewood’s end-of-season woes continued last week with two heavy Stagecoach First Division defeats.

The already relegated Viewpark side went down 4-0 at Yoker last Wednesday night and were then beaten 4-1 by Irvine Vics at Robertson Park on Saturday.

The visitors had the chance to take the lead in the 15th minute when they were awarded a penalty after home ’keeper Craig Winslow fouled Conor Lennon, but Winslow redeemed himself saving by saving Davie Hamilton’s spot kick at full stretch.

Yoker took the lead in 38 minutes when Lennon failed to control the ball before fouling a Yoker player inside the box, resulting in a straight red for himself and a spot kick for the home side which KEVIN REILLY blasted past Chris Fitzpatrick.

The home side doubled their lead in the 65th minute when hesitancy in the ’Wood’ defence allowed GARY ARBUCKLE to tap home at the far post.

United were still playing with a decent degree of heart but the game was killed off in 74 minutes when a lack of communication between Fitzpatrick and WEDLOCK resulted in the debutant defender side footing into the empty net from 18 yards.

Yoker completed the scoring in the 90th minute when soft defending allowed GREG MAITLAND in to score.

Against Irvine Vics Thorniewood produced a bleak performance after falling behind in the fifth minute when KEVIN ADAM got his boot to a cross to send the ball dipping into the far corner.

Vics increased their lead in the 36th minute when a loose Gary Duggan pass was pounced upon and a cross from the right was tapped home by ADAM.

A third Irvine goal arrived in 57 minutes when a free-kick wasn’t dealt with by Fitzpatrick and RYAN SINGLETON was on hand to knock home.

Thorniewood were given a glimmer of hope when KIERAN McINTYRE fired home a free-kick from the edge of the area.

But they lost another goal in 79 minutes when the ball appeared to go in off the shoulder of RYAN McKAY.

Thorniewood are at home to St Roch’s in the quarter-finals of the Euroscot Engineering Central League Cup tonight (Wednesday) before completing their league programme against Largs Thistle at Robertson Park on Saturday.

Bellshill Athletic also play their final league game of the campaign on Saturday with a home fixture against Benburb.