Ramsden sees red as Stokes strikes

Referee Calum Murray shows Simon Ramsden a red card for a foul on James Forrest.
Referee Calum Murray shows Simon Ramsden a red card for a foul on James Forrest.

Ten-man Motherwell went down 1-0 to league leaders Celtic and had goalkeeper Dan Twardzik to thank for keeping the scoreline respectable.

The visitors took just six minutes to take the lead as Simon Ramsden tried to allow Fraser Kerr’s backpass to run through to Twardzik.

Stefan Johansen seized his opportunity to nip in and rounded Twardzik before setting up ANTHONY STOKES to fire into the net.

John Guidetti had the ball in the net with a spectacular overhead kick that was wrongly flagged offside and James Forrest shot inches wide.

Iain Vigurs fired over from 25 yards in a rare ’Well attack, but most of the traffic was at the other end as Twardzik denied Johansen’s powerful shot.

The home side were dealt a blow on the half hour mark as Kerr was forced off and had to be replaced by David Ferguson, one of six youngsters on the bench as ’Well’s injury problems test the limits of the squad.

Celtic continued to dominate, but their failure to put away chances almost proved their undoing as Zaine Francis-Angol and Keith Lasley combined to set up Vigurs, but his shot did little to trouble Craig Gordon.

Then Vigurs appeared to have a tap in from a low John Sutton cross, but Emilio Izaquirre got back with a brilliant last ditch tackle.

’Well were reduced to ten men on 66 minutes as Ramsden was shown a straight red card for an awful challenge on Forrest at the edge of the box.

With their noses already in front Celtic really looked to turn the screw but found Twardzik in fantastic form as he palmed away shots by Guidetti and Izaguirre.

Then Guidetti managed to screw a shot wide from two yards after Aleksandar Tonev put in a lovely low ball and things got worse for the Manchester City loanee as Izaguirre slipped him through, but he managed to stumble over the ball and Twardzik gathered.

Twardzik was again the hero with a point blank save from Forrest.

Seven minutes from time Lee Erwin passed up a golden chance for an equaliser as he found himself unmarked in the six yard box, but managed to head Lionel Ainsworth’s cross wide.

Motherwell: Twardzik, Carswell, Ramsden, McManus, Sutton (Erwin 79), Vigurs (Ainsworth 79), Lasley, Francis-Angol, Law, Kerr, (Ferguson 30), Ojamaa. Subs not used: Stewart, Thomas, Neill, Cadden.

Celtic: Gordon, Matthews, Izaguirre, Ambrose, Van Dijk, Bitton, Brown, Guidetti (Commons 88), Stokes (Tonev 64), Johansen, Forrest (Scepovic 81). Subs not used: Zaluska, Wakaso, Fisher, McGregor.

Referee: Calum Murray.

Attendance: 7,740.