Motherwell v Morton: LIVE

The Motherwell Times is at Fir Park to see if Motherwell can book a place in the last eight of the Scottish Cup with victory over Morton, KO 7pm.

Friday, 16th April 2021, 5:47 pm
Motherwell beat Morton 4-0 in a Betfred Cup tie on the sides' last meeting in July 2019 (Pic by Ian McFadyen)

Follow our live blog to see if the Steelmen can progress. COYW!

Motherwell v Morton: LIVE

Last updated: Friday, 16 April, 2021, 20:27

  • Motherwell 1-1 Morton after extra time
  • Penalties coming up
  • The Steelmen last won this competition 30 years ago
  • En route to the 1991 final, they beat Morton in a penalty shootout in a quarter-final replay
  • Motherwell will face Stranraer or Hibs away next Saturday in the quarter-final if they beat Morton

After a minute’s silence for Prince Philip, we’re underway.

Unhandled: gallery

We’re unerway at Fir Park!

0-0 2 mins in.

No scoring chances for either side yet.

Main talking point so far is that I count no fewer than 3 man buns among the Morton players. A record for a visiting team to Fir Park?

First opening for Morton

Good work by Aidan Nesbitt on the left on 16 minutes saw him cross but Craig McGuffie miscued a fine chance from a central position.

Major let off for Motherwell

There was a major let off for Motherwell when Robbie Crawford lost possession in midfield and McGuffie went clean through on goal. But keeper Liam Kelly saved the Steelmen by rushing out brilliantly to block.

Muirhead shoots over

Fine work by Nesbitt then set up Robbie Muirhead in the middle but he flicked over.

McGinley shot blocked

A Motherwell corner on the left after 39 minutes broke for Nathan McGinley whose left footed shot was blocked by Markus Fjortoft. 

Steven Lawless played Devante Cole clean through for the hosts but he was offside.

Cole chance/half-time 0-0

Motherwell’s first sustained period of pressure of the game then saw Stephen O’Donnell cross from the right flank to Cole who couldn’t control his shot. 0-0 at half-time.

2nd half is underway

Play has restarted here at Fir Park.

The second half began with Cole setting up Chris Long whose low left foot shot from distance was saved.

The Steelmen were on top now and O’Donnell’s fine cross was taken in razor sharp fashion by Cole who shot just over.

Long then linked with Cole on 66 minutes but his first timer from distance flew over.

Ricki Lamie seems to have mastered the art of the kneed passback to the goalie. That’s twice in the last 5 minutes he’s done it.

Page 1 of 3