Motherwell 0 Rangers 2

Motherwell gaffer Mark McGhee suffered a 2-0 home defeat (Pic by Craig Halkett)
Motherwell gaffer Mark McGhee suffered a 2-0 home defeat (Pic by Craig Halkett)

Motherwell paid for missing several good first half chances as they lost 2-0 at home to Rangers in Saturday’s Betfred League Cup clash.

Scott McDonald was then put clean through on Rangers keeper Wes Fotheringham, who turned his shot round the post for a corner.

A fine build up involving McDonald and Ainsworth then set up Chris Cadden, who shot just wide of the far post.

McDonald then put Johnson clean through on Fotheringham, but the keeper again frustrated the Steelmen with a fine save.

The Light Blues’ Andy Halliday sent a powerful shot just over from outside the box before ‘Well keeper Craig Samson turned a Martyn Waghorn shot over. Kenny Miller’s effort then went just wide of Samson’s far post after a James Tavernier cross.

Johnson shot over from close range at the other end after Ainsworth’s cross from the right had been missed by Cadden.

McDonald then wasted a great chance to put the Steelmen in front when he shot weakly at Fotheringham after Hammell’s fine setpiece delivery.

Rangers scored first on 48 minutes when Tavernier brilliantly shot home with his right foot after Waghorn’s pass.

It was nearly 2-0 three minutes later when Harry Forrester shot against the ‘Well bar after Tavernier’s pass inside.

Rangers were dominating the second half but a rare breakaway saw McDonald miss a good chance when he failed to control Joe Chalmers’ cross at the back post.

Samson made a great point blank save from Lee Wallace and Gers’ pressure also saw sub Michael O’Halloran shoot just over and Samson produce another great stop from O’Halloran before McKay blasted the rebound over.

Motherwell sub Louis Moult headed just wide from Richard Tait’s fine cross to the back post.

McDonald shot over after jinking in the box, before ‘Well’s Ben Heneghan headed Johnson’s free-kick from the right flank just wide.

Samson ran out of his box to block Waghorn’s effort, with the visitors protesting that the keeper had handled the ball outside the area. But Rangers killed off the match on 90 minutes when Waghorn curled a fine effort which went in off the post.

Heneghan had a late header blocked on the line following a corner from the left.