Moore does ’Well on his first start

Craig Moore
Craig Moore
Share this article

Motherwell’s defeat to Dundee United before the international break became a distant memory as they got back to winning ways at Kilmarnock.

Shaun Hutchinson returned to the defence after suspension, while James McFadden started for the first time since the end of the September.

However, the biggest talking point was youngster Craig Moore being handed a first start up front.

And while John Sutton and Henri Anier got the goals, Moore did enough to suggest it will be the first of many.

He had his first chance in six minutes after robbing Mark O’Hara at the edge of the box, but his shot missed the top corner.

And then it should have gone better after Sutton had knocked a Zaine Francis-Angol cross into his path, but again he failed to hit the target.

Next up O’Hara slipped, allowing Moore to run onto a Paul Lawson ball, but for a third time just gave the ballboys work.

Sammy Clingan went close with the free kick for the home side and then Kris Boyd tried to take advantage of a Hutchinson slip, but was held up by Stephen McManus and Hutchinson got back to make the tackle.

Moore was up again courtesy of McFadden, but his shot hit Manuel Pascali and went well wide.

At half-time McFadden was withdrawn in favour of Lionel Ainsworth and he was set up by a Moore backheel, but didn’t test Craig Samson.

However, on 54 minutes ’Well took the lead as SUTTON met Iain Vigurs’s cross with a diving header.

Gunnar Nielsen produced a great save from Craig Slater to protect the lead before a Clingan shot took a wicked deflection off Hutchinson that wrong footed the ’keeper, but bounced wide.

The away fans screamed for a penalty as Sutton’s cheeky backheel effort was smothered by the grounded Pascali, but referee Stephen Finnie saw nothing amiss.

On 79 minutes Moore was given a well earned rest with Anier coming on in his place.

Sutton had a great chance after Fraser Kerr cut back the byeline, but blazed over on the half volley.

The points were finally sealed two minutes from time as ANIER shrugged off a couple of half-hearted challenges in the box to score.

Kilmarnock: Samson, Tesselaar, Nicholson (McKenzie 72), Clingan (Winchester 86), Boyd, Johnston, Clohessy, Gardyne (Gros 82), O’Hara, Slater. Pascali. Subs not used: Reguero, Ibrahim, Jacobs, Ashcroft.

Motherwell: Nielsen, Hutchinson, McManus, McFadden (Ainsworth 46), Lawson, Sutton, Vigurs, Lasley, Francis-Angol, Kerr, Moore (Anier 79). Subs not used: Stewart, Hammell, Cummins, McHugh, Carswell.