Goals galore as juniors beat the weather

editorial image

It was West of Scotland Cup second round day on Saturday with a number of games, more than many expected, beating the weather.

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy travelled to Troon for an all-Super League Premier encounter and fell behind when Adam Forsyth fired in a 17th minute opener for the home side.

But Rabs, who beat Troon 2-1 in the league two weeks ago, hit back to level through Willie Sawyers before the break.

Substitute Steven Aitken put the visitors ahead with a great strike and further goals from Aitken and Sawyers in the closing stages completed a fine win.

Cumbernauld United also hit the goals trail in Ayrshire, moving through to the third round with a 5-2 success at Ardrossan Winton Rovers.

Goals by Steph McDonald, Dale Clark and Kieran Brown gave John Queen’s side a convincing 3-0 lead at half-time and although the home side pulled a goal back, Brown added a fourth.

Ardrossan reduced the deficit again before Dom O’Halloran completed the scoring for a Cumbernauld side who have now won their last six away goals, scoring 31 goals in the process.

There was a much closer affair at Duncansfield Park where Super League First Division side Kilsyth Rangers edged home 3-2 against Central Division Two table toppers Lanark United.

Work to get Rockburn Park playable proved worth the effort for Bellshill Athletic as David Lilley’s side moved into the third round.

Goals from Darren Simpson and John Henderson gave the Super League First Division side victory over their Central Second Division opponents.

Simpson opened the scoring from a free-kick in the first half and Henderson doubled the advantage after the break before the visitors were reduced to 10 men when Peter Innes was red carded.

However one game which failed to beat the elements was Rossvale’s match at Cumnock which was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

There was also plenty of league action and Pollok replaced Rob Roy at the top of the Super League Premier Division table with a thumping 5-1 win in the Glasgow derby at Petershill.

John Sweeney headed ‘Lok in front and Davie Winters added a second before Peasies pulled one back.

However Sweeney restored Pollok’s two-goal advantage just before the break and Winters completed his hat-trick with two more goals in the second half.

In the Central First Division Thorniewood United had to settle for a 1-1 draw at Wishaw.

Chris Lennon’s 35th minute goal gave them the lead but the home side, who had missed a penalty before Lennon’s opener, earned a point with a Dan Kindlan equaliser 15 minutes from time.

Lesmahagow, in their first match under new boss Billy McDonald, were comprehensive 3-0 winners at St Roch’s while Carluke Rovers came from behind to secure a 2-1 home win over Neilston.

The visitors took the lead from the penalty spot but Lewis Hill equalised before the break and Charles McCole got the winner in the second half.

The Central First Division match between Maryhill and Dunipace Juniors was called off, as was the Second Division clash between Forth Wanderers and Gartcairn.

In the East Region Superleague Linlithgow Rose left it late before seeing off St Andrews United at Prestonfield.

Former Aberdeen striker Michael Jones, making his first start for Rose, opened the scoring after just six minutes.

But the Fife side hit back with a second half equaliser and it took two goals in the last two minutes from Tommy Coyne and Blair Batchelor to seal the points for Davie McGlynn’s men.

Bo’ness United bounced back from defeats in their last two games with a 2-1 win at Newtongrange Star.

Ian Nimmo put them ahead after 14 minutes with a long-range effort and Will Snowdon doubled the advantage for Allan McGonigal’s men from close range just before the half-hour mark.

Newtongrange pulled one back in the second half but it wasn’t enough.

Camelon Juniors were worthy winners at Bo’ness last week but they couldn’t come up with a repeat at Kelty Hearts as they went down 3-0 to the defending champions.

After a goalless first half Scott Dalziel made the breakthrough and an own goal and a Stuart Cargill counter completed the scoring.

In the East Premier League it was a day to forget for Falkirk Juniors who went down 1-0 away to Edinburgh United and had Sebastian Tinning and Alan Sneddon sent off.

Ross Elliot got the winner for the home side after just eight minutes.