Colville spot on to reach West final

Colville Park line up before their semi-final with Harestanes
Colville Park line up before their semi-final with Harestanes

Colville Park AFC have made it through to the final of the West of Scotland Amateur Cup for the second time in three seasons.

The Motherwell side booked their spot in next week’s final with a dramatic penalty shootout victory over Central Scottish AFL rivals Harestanes at Hamilton’s New Douglas Park on Friday night.

There was little to choose between the sides in a hard fought semi-final which ended 0-0 after 90 minutes and 1-1 after extra-time before Colville Park won 6-5 on penalties.

Harestanes had the better of the opening exchanges and had several good breaks especially down the left flank but Colville’s defence held out.

Colville Park keeper Nathan Wharton saved from Jamie Broadfoot, Paul McLaughlin and Broadfoot just failed to connect with a Craig Young cross.

Colville Park could have gone ahead against this run of play when McAulay ran clear with a one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but his shot was blocked well.

In the second half Colville Park had most of the play, but could not convert this pressure into goals and Harestanes were always dangerous on the break and from set-pieces.

Young then had a chance for Harestanes which Wharton saved and the regulation 90 minutes ended scoreless.

In extra-time Colville Park’s Miller forced a save from O’Boyle before Harestanes broke the deadlock.

MARK FITZSIMMONS gave Wharton no chance with a powerful header.

Colville Park fought back and were rewarded with a deserved equaliser five minutes from the end when BOYCE bundled home from close range following a corner on the right.

The penalty shoot-out was a tense affair when Boyce and Brown of Colville Park had their efforts saved, and Oliver of Harestanes had his shot saved well by Wharton.

Harestanes ’keeper O’Boyle elected to take their fifth penalty and only needed to score to send his side through to the final.

But his effort hit the bar and bounced over to safety, with Colvilles converting to tie things at 3–3.

That took the decider into sudden death, and when Young saw his shot saved by Wharton, Pearce stepped up to make it 6–5 to Colville Park.

Colville Park now await the outcome of the second semi-final at New Douglas Park on Saturday between Hurlford Thistle from Ayrshire and Greenock HSFP who proved to be their conquerors in this season’s Scottish Cup.

The final is also scheduled for New Douglas Park on Friday, May 1, with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Colville were beaten finalists in this season’s Bunrigh League Cup Final