Colville fall at final hurdle

Colville Park's John-Paul Grant fires in a free-kick during his side's League Cup final with Drumchapel
Colville Park's John-Paul Grant fires in a free-kick during his side's League Cup final with Drumchapel

Colville Park’s attempt to win the Central Scottish Amateur Football League’s Bunreigh Trophy ended in disappointment when they lost to Drumchapel Amateurs in a dramatic and closely-contested final at Lesser Hampden last Friday.

Colville Park were without several key players and were further hampered when experienced defender Garry Tierney limped off midway through the first half.

Despite these set-backs, Colville Park opened the scoring in 35 minutes when Paul McAulay took possession from a corner on the right flank and passed to JAMES McLEOD who slotted past the Drumchapel goalkeeper.

Unfortunately Colville Park could not hold on to this lead and Drumchapel equalised two minutes later.

A long throw-out from ‘keeper Mark Quinn was intercepted and although the first shot was blocked the rebound was fired into the corner of the net from 18 yards by MARTIN CLARK.

In the second half Colville Park continued to have the better of the play and possession but could not convert this pressure into goals.

They had a great chance to clinch the cup with two minutes of the match left, when they were awarded a penalty after McLeod was blocked by Drumchapel ‘keeper Steven Soave.

But the normally reliable John Paul Grant had his spot-kick parried by the ‘keeper and the rebound was booted to safety.

Colville Park continued to press in extra-time but the resolute Drumchapel defence held out.

A penalty shootout loomed but in the final minute Quinn was adjudged to have fouled David Forbes as he came for a high cross and GARY McKELLAR scored the winner from the resultant penalty kick.

Colville Park have no match this Saturday since they have four players - Michael Brown, Paul McAulay, John-Paul Grant and Stephen McDevitt - in the Scottish Amateur international squad who travel to Ireland to play the Leinster Senior League for the Graham Harkness Memorial Trophy.

Their next big test will be the West of Scotland Cup semi-final tie against either Central League rivals Harestanes or Castlemilk due to be played at New Douglas Park on Friday, April 17.