Bullfrog complete title treble

Bullfrog AFC celebrate after clinching the league and cup double
Bullfrog AFC celebrate after clinching the league and cup double

Bullfrog AFC have won the Carluke and District AFL Premier league for the third year in a row.

The Muirhouse side needed just a point from their ‘winner takes all’ clash away to Alpha, but took the title in style with a 2-1 victory.

From the start Alpha took the game to Bully and an early free-kick brought out the best in the ‘keeper Hallford.

Gordon Douches thought he had put the visitors in front but the ball was judged not to have crossed the line.

Moments later Alpha were awarded a penalty but again Hallford came to the rescue with a fine save.

Bullfrog took the lead before half-time when Steven Dunn whipped in a free-kick for JAMES FOWLER to glance home a header.

After the break Bullfrog took advantage of Alpha’s high defensive line when DOUCHES raced clear of his marker to slot the ball home for the Bullfrog’s second.

Alpha pulled one back when an Alpha player curled the ball into the bottom corner to eventually beat the impressive Hallford.

The home side pushed for an equaliser but Bully hung on until the final whistle.

Three days after securing the league title Bullfrog defeated old rivals Dykehead 3-1 to complete the double - and bring their trophy tally to eight in four years.

Bullfrog took the lead in the first minute when COLIN GILLIES fired in a low free-kick which evaded everyone and crept in at the far post.

But the lead did not last as Dykehead went up the park and the Bullfrog defence could not clear, allowing the ball to be smashed home.

As the half wore Bullfrog dominated and went back in front when Scott Donald rode a rough Dykehead challenge before playing the ball to Douches who squared for TWEEDIE to tap in.

In the aftermath of the goal Dykehead were reduced to 10 men when one their players was judged to have lashed out at the scorer.

After the break Dykehead had the bulk of the possession for the first 15 minutes of the second half but failed to trouble ‘keeper Hallford.

Bullfrog came back into the game and were awarded a penalty when Donald broke free in the box and was brought down.

After a lengthy delay GILLIES stepped up to score his second.

Before the game was over Dykehead again had a player sent off for a late tackle on Boyle and Bullfrog saw out the rest of the game without any trouble.