At the double for derby dominance

John Sutton stoops to head in Ainsworth's cross two minutes after coming on as a substitute.
John Sutton stoops to head in Ainsworth's cross two minutes after coming on as a substitute.

Doubles from Lionel Ainsworth and John Sutton saw Motherwell put Hamilton Accies to the sword in the Lanarkshire derby.

The result at Fir Park saw the home side gain a modicum of revenge having lost 4-0 and 5-0 and been put out of the League Cup in their previous meetings with Accies this season.

’Well started brightly and in the opening minutes were awarded a free-kick around 20 yards out when Grant Gillespie fouled Marvin Johnson.

Josh Law stepped up and although he got his attempt over the wall it failed to trouble Michael McGovern.

At the other end Ziggy Gordon played a one-two with Dougie Imrie but his effort was charged down by Keith Lasley, while a neat passing move gave Gillespie a chance, but he blasted over.

The home side had the lion’s share of possession with Scott McDonald firing across the face of goal and Ainsworth bursting through the middle of the Accies defence, but shooting weakly.

Lee Erwin had a shot blocked from an Ainsworth cross, then failed to throw himself at the ball as Jesus Garcia Tena got a touch on a dangerous Johnson cross.

Against the run of play Accies almost took the lead as Imrie met Ali Crawford’s outswinging cross on the volley, but it crashed off the outside of the post.

The sides went in level at half-time, but it took just four minutes after the restart for ’Well to take the lead as Lasley took a quick free kick and from 30 yards out AINSWORTH smashed the ball in.

A minute later it was 2-0 as Erwin couldn’t get on the end of a Johnson cross but AINSWORTH was at the back post to tuck it in.

Things went from bad to worse for Accies as Darren Lyon was shown a straight red card on 65 minutes for sliding in on Johnson.

McDonald then sent Ainsworth clear, but he dragged his shot wide with a hat-trick there for the taking.

SUTTON replaced McDonald on 78 minutes and within two minutes of coming on nodded in an Ainsworth cross at the back post.

SUTTON then completed the rout on 83 minutes from the penalty spot after Gordon had fouled Erwin.

Motherwell: Long, McManus, Ainsworth (Moore 81), Lasley, Law, Erwin, Johnson (D Thomas 85), Straker, Laing, Pearson, McDonald (Sutton 78). Subs not used: Twardzik, Kerr, N Thomas, Grant.

Hamilton Accies: McGovern, Gordon, Devlin, Gillespie, Imrie (Brophy 81), Scotland (Hasselbaink 66), Crawford, Lyon, MacDonald, Garcia Tena, Redmond (Longridge 75). Subs not used: Hill, Canning, MacKinnon, Docherty.

Referee: Callum Murray.

Attendance: 4,250.