We want answers

Daniel Carroll is back safe with mum Michelle Geake.
Daniel Carroll is back safe with mum Michelle Geake.

AN investigation has been launched after a three-year-old slipped out of a Bellshill nursery without staff noticing.

Daniel Carroll decided to wander off from class at Bellshill Nursery Centre last Friday afternoon and staff only realised he was gone when a member of the public returned him to the Dean Street facility.

His mum Michelle Geake, of Belvidere Crescent, is demanding answers as to how this was allowed to happen.

She said: “As a parent, to think about what could have happened to him is just frightening and it’s just so fortunate a member of the public brought him back.

“I dread to think what could have happened if they had not, he’s only three, he could have tried to cross the road and been knocked down or someone could have taken him away.

“The nursery is supposed to be secure, yet not only did he get out, but apparently no one realised he was gone and that just isn’t good enough for any parent when they leave their child in the care of others.

“I haven’t taken him out of the nursery yet, but I haven’t taken him back either as at the moment I just don’t feel comfortable about him going there.”

The nursery is run by North Lanarkshire Council who told the Bellshill Speaker they are taking the matter very seriously.

James McKinstry, head of resources within learning and leisure services, said: “This is an extremely regrettable incident and we are naturally relieved that the child was returned safely and unharmed.

“We are treating this with the utmost seriousness and a full investigation into the circumstances is already being carried out by senior staff.

“The safety and wellbeing of all children in our care is our primary concern and we will do everything possible to ensure such an incident cannot happen again.”

The department contacted the three Mossend and Holytown councillors, Frank McNally, David Baird and Jimmy Coyle, on Friday to advise them that an incident had taken place.

Councillor McNally said: “This was a completely unacceptable situation and a full investigation has to take place with procedures introduced to ensure this type of incident doesn’t happen again.”