The SNP group have hit out at North Lanarkshire Council’s plans to consult over £45 million worth of cuts.
At last week’s meeting of the policy and resources committee it was agreed to present £49 million in options to the public and staff later this month.
However, the SNP believe it is too early for cuts to be discussed and would rather wait until the council knows exactly what budget it is to receive from the Scottish Government.
SNP group leader Councillor David Stocks said: “The ruling Labour group seem too keen to forge ahead with cuts in council jobs and services.
“The council budget is not until mid February and we don’t have key information. We’re awaiting the UK Government’s Comprehensive Spending Review on November 25 before we even have an inkling of the Scottish Government’s basic funding.
“It has been expected the review will lead to £1 billion being sliced from Scotland’s funding every year, Labour in North Lanarkshire should be keeping pressure on George Osborne not making it easy for the Tories by meekly rushing into a spending squeeze.”
Council leader Councillor Jim McCabe believes it is better to start consulting now in order to take a more considered approach.
He said: “I do not have a crystal ball to say exactly what we are getting, but starting the process now will give us plenty of time for discussion before the budget is set in February.”