A Motherwell couple have been left ‘shattered’ after fire badly damaged their home while they were enjoying a weekend break.
A neighbour is believed to have raised the alarm when smoke was spotted in an upstairs room of the detached house in Kenneth Road in the town’s Greenacres area.
Jim and Frances Moore were at a caravan in the south of Scotland and no one else was in the house.
Fire crews raced to the scene around 1am on Sunday.
A neigbhour said: “They were here for hours - the flames were going through the roof.
“Thankfully, nobody was hurt. The family were back on Monday to see what could be salvaged.
“Jim’s shattered but his view was the house can be rebuilt while you can’t replace someone who dies in a fire.”
The couple, who have grown up children, have lived in the house for more than 30 years and are said to be well-liked neighbours.
More news from around the area in this week’s Times & Speaker, out now.