Cot canopy nearly killed my baby

Lisa Marshall nearly choked to death in cot
Lisa Marshall nearly choked to death in cot

A Bellshill mum has told how her 19-month-old daughter was nearly choked to death by a cot canopy.

Evy Marshall said she dashed into the tot’s room fearing she had taken an epileptic fit.

Lisa Marshall survived cot scare

Lisa Marshall survived cot scare

She was then horrified to find a cord from the canopy wrapped around little Lisa’s neck.

Evy said: “She had turned purple and her eyes were popping out of her head. Her neck was red raw.”

The frantic mum phoned a doctor and was advised to get Lisa to hospital. After a series of checks she was given the all-clear.

Evy has now asked the manufacturer of the canopy to have it withdrawn and wants other parents to be aware of the danger.

She said: “I was near Lisa’s room when it happened and was able to reach her in time, but someone else might not be so lucky.

“The canopy looked beautiful and I bought it only to hide an epilepsy monitor that’s kept in the cot.

“When I heard choking noises from Lisa’s room I thought she’d taken a seizure. She had pulled the cord from the canopy. I didn’t even know it could come loose. Her neck was in a real mess.

“I took her to Wishaw General and we were there all day while they did investigations. She’s had a very lucky escape.”

Evy, who has two other children, added: “It’s the first time I’ve had one of these canopies and I wish hadn’t bothered. I can’t bear to look at it and I haven’t slept properly since it happened. I keep seeing Lisa’s face with the cord around her.”