Launch of festive drink drive awareness campaign

Drivers are being reminded not to drink and drive over the festive season. Pic: Mark F Gibson / Warren Media
Drivers are being reminded not to drink and drive over the festive season. Pic: Mark F Gibson / Warren Media

Drivers in Scotland are being reminded that ‘the best approach is none’ as the Scottish Government and Road Safety Scotland launches its festive drink drive awareness campaign today (Friday).

Last year – 12 months after the lower drink drive limit was introduced – one in 35 drivers stopped during the festive season were over the legal limit compared with one in 50 motorists drink driving over the same period in previous year.

With Christmas parties in full swing, drivers are being urged to remember the drink drive limit and not take risks over the festive season. The chances of being caught are higher than ever.

More than 20,000 drivers are stopped by police every month. This awareness campaign supports Police Scotland’s enforcement campaign, which will see even more patrols on Scotland’s roads.

The new campaign reinforces the message that ‘the best approach is none’, reminding motorists that even if you’re slightly over the limit, in the eyes of the law you are a drunk driver.

Justice Secretary Michael Matheson launched the month-long enforcement and awareness campaign in Glasgow with Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins.

Mr Matheson, said: “We led the way in the UK by reducing the legal alcohol limit and this is already having an effect on changing attitudes. More people now know that even one drink before driving is one too many.

“Unfortunately there is a persistent minority of drivers who continue to ignore the law. These people are not only risking their own lives, but are risking the safety of other road users and pedestrians by drinking and driving.

“This campaign reinforces that drink driving is unacceptable and, if you get caught, you will get a minimum 12 month driving ban, a criminal record, points on your licence and a substantial fine.”

Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins from Police Scotland said: “Between December last year and January 2016, 452 drivers failed a breath test. It’s really disappointing so many people were prepared to cause danger to others as well as themselves.

“The best advice if you are planning to drink this Christmas is don’t risk it, don’t drink and drive.”

Thomas Saveall won the Project Spotlight Volunteer award at the Citizens Advice Scotland conference. He was presented with a silver Quaich by HRH Princess Anne. Picture - Stewart Attwood''''All images � Stewart Attwood Photography 2019.  All other rights are reserved. Use in any other context is expressly prohibited without prior permission. No Syndication Permitted.

Taylor Wimpey have confirmed directly with local Councillor Nathan Wilson that the organisation retains its commitment to building a park and ride at Shieldmuir Train Station. In response to recent enquiries made by Councillor Wilson, Taylor Wimpey have advised that engagement is taking place with Network Rail over the latter’s approval procedures and that once this process is complete, work will be able to begin on site. The developer has informed the Motherwell Councillor that during the period of investigation undertaken since the commencement of building work was delayed in January 2018, an unrecorded service chamber has been discovered on site. The project cannot move forward until further clarification is provided on the nature of the service chamber and Taylor Wimpey are in the process of commissioning a contractor to assess the situation. The developer’s initial judgement is that this is likely a redundant service. A senior representative of the organisation has also informed Councillor Wilson that a member of the Taylor Wimpey production team will be sent out to inspect the vacant land following a request he made at the beginning of 2019 for maintenance work to be carried out on site should construction of the park and ride remain some time away. Councillor Nathan Wilson said: “Taylor Wimpey have communicated to me directly that the park and ride facility is a project that the organisation remains committed to delivering. “However, it goes without saying that the lengthy delay is still very disappointing and frustrating. “An unrecorded service chamber has been identified on site and progress is unable to be made until this has been investigated. “Taylor Wimpey have relayed to me that an on-site inspection of the vacant land will take place and I hold to the view that maintenance work should be carried out in the short term to improve it’s current condition. “I will continue to engage with the relevant stakeholders and re-inforce to them the importance of the park and ride project locally. Motherwell and Wishaw CAB takes home 40 per cent of the prizes