Iain stepping out to fight prostate cancer

Iain Frame from Netherton (high vis) leaves York on the Men United March with Ray Wilkins, Charlie Nicholas, Iain Dowie, Chris Kamara, Jeff Stelling and many others.
Iain Frame from Netherton (high vis) leaves York on the Men United March with Ray Wilkins, Charlie Nicholas, Iain Dowie, Chris Kamara, Jeff Stelling and many others.

Netherton man Iain Frame joined Sky TV presenter Jeff Stelling for a marathon hike yesterday (Tuesday) and is ready to do it again next week.

Jeff launched the Men United March with the aim of completing 10 marathons in 10 days walking from the home of his beloved Hartlepool United to Wembley in aid of Prostate Cancer UK.

Along the way the Soccer Saturday host is being joined by a host of football personalities and VIPs, and yesterday he and Iain were accompanied by the likes of former Old Firm duo Charlie Nicholas and Ray Wilkins and a 15-strong team from RAF Leeming as they walked from York to Leeds.

Iain, who works as Prostate Cancer UK’s director of research, is a keen walker and previously completed 97 miles across the Ridgeway.

He said: “My job as director of research depends solely on remarkable people doing remarkable things – like Jeff.

“Without that help I couldn’t do what I love best about being here - funding ground-breaking research projects that will really make that difference to men. 

“Our strategy is quite simple: find out who is most at risk of the disease; find out how we can tell the difference between aggressive and non-aggressive prostate cancers at diagnosis and discover new and improved treatments for advanced prostate cancer.

“I would add to that we are keeping a close eye on how to prevent prostate cancer occurring in the first place and coming back after treatment. Not easy, but I took on this job knowing that, with decent funding, research can find those answers and improve the lives of men with prostate cancer and their families.”

Iain will also join Jeff for the Luton to Watford leg on Tuesday, accompanied by his wife Catriona, Bellshill-born former Celtic defender Malky Mackay and ex-Arsenal star Paul Merson, but has promised if he reaches his £2,500 fundraising target before then he will also tackle the Northampton to Milton Keynes walk the day before.

He said “I’ve set an initial target of £1,500 for the two walks but have promised Jeff that if I reach £2,500 I will do a third marathon walk with him from Northampton to Milton Keynes.

“I’m delighted to be raising awareness and much needed money to help the fight against prostate cancer.”

To sponsor Iain visit justgiving.com/Iain-Frame/.

Thomas Saveall won the Project Spotlight Volunteer award at the Citizens Advice Scotland conference. He was presented with a silver Quaich by HRH Princess Anne. Picture - Stewart Attwood''''All images � Stewart Attwood Photography 2019.  All other rights are reserved. Use in any other context is expressly prohibited without prior permission. No Syndication Permitted.

Taylor Wimpey have confirmed directly with local Councillor Nathan Wilson that the organisation retains its commitment to building a park and ride at Shieldmuir Train Station. In response to recent enquiries made by Councillor Wilson, Taylor Wimpey have advised that engagement is taking place with Network Rail over the latter’s approval procedures and that once this process is complete, work will be able to begin on site. The developer has informed the Motherwell Councillor that during the period of investigation undertaken since the commencement of building work was delayed in January 2018, an unrecorded service chamber has been discovered on site. The project cannot move forward until further clarification is provided on the nature of the service chamber and Taylor Wimpey are in the process of commissioning a contractor to assess the situation. The developer’s initial judgement is that this is likely a redundant service. A senior representative of the organisation has also informed Councillor Wilson that a member of the Taylor Wimpey production team will be sent out to inspect the vacant land following a request he made at the beginning of 2019 for maintenance work to be carried out on site should construction of the park and ride remain some time away. Councillor Nathan Wilson said: “Taylor Wimpey have communicated to me directly that the park and ride facility is a project that the organisation remains committed to delivering. “However, it goes without saying that the lengthy delay is still very disappointing and frustrating. “An unrecorded service chamber has been identified on site and progress is unable to be made until this has been investigated. “Taylor Wimpey have relayed to me that an on-site inspection of the vacant land will take place and I hold to the view that maintenance work should be carried out in the short term to improve it’s current condition. “I will continue to engage with the relevant stakeholders and re-inforce to them the importance of the park and ride project locally. Motherwell and Wishaw CAB takes home 40 per cent of the prizes