A hero who helped comfort an 11-year-old victim of the M&D’s rollercoaster crash says it is a miracle that the youngster’s hand has been saved by surgeons.
Paul McFadden (34) rushed to the aid of victims in the horrific theme park crash after a rollercoaster carriage derailed on Sunday afternoon.
Witnesses likened the incident at M&D’s theme park in Strathclyde Park to “something out of a horror film”.
Nine people remain in hospital after the Tsunami ride derailed and plummeted 20ft to the ground, where it collided with a ride for young children below.
At the scene, Paul comforted Liam Boyle (11), who is among the smash victims and was on the rollercoaster when it derailed.
Liam suffered serious injuries to his right hand in the crash, for which he last night (Sunday) underwent lengthy surgery in hospital.
An update this morning from Liam’s granddad, Thomas Campbell, confirmed the surgery had been a success.
And Paul, from Grangemouth, said it is a “miracle” doctors have saved the youngster’s hand and arm.
He said: “I honestly thought his hand would be gone. It was carnage.
“You could see the full bone at his wrist. His hand was hanging right off - like off his arm. I was holding his left hand and kept him distracted.
“It’s a miracle the surgeons have managed to save it. God knows how long it will take to properly heal though.
“He has obviously gone through hell on what should have been his first fun day of school holidays.”
It is understood Liam will require further surgery tomorrow (Tuesday).
Paul, who had gone to M&D’s with partner Lisa Richardson, son Andrew Richardson (2) and eight-year-old niece Grace Eve Anderson, has now set up a fundraising page for Liam and the other crash victims.
He said: “I feel like it’s my duty now to make sure he is okay.
“I’ve spoken to his mum and I’m going to visit him at the hospital once he’s up for visitors.
“I have set up the fundraising page to help the victims, it’s the least I can do.”
In addition to creating the fundraising page Paul has also bought a new phone and jumper for the 11-year old.
He said: “His phone was all smashed after the crash. I know what boys are like wanting to play games and things so I know he will be wanting a new one.
“And his jumper was all cut up from the carriage so I went out to get him a new one.”
To donate visit Paul’s Crowdfunding page
There were nine passengers on board the Tsunami including two 19-year-old adults and seven children.
Three are aged 11 and the others are aged, 12, 13, 14 and 16.
The passengers were immediately given medical attention and taken to three hospitals for treatment.
Their conditions are:
A 12-year-old boy is currently in a serious condition with chest, abdominal and leg injuries at the Royal Hospital for Children.
An 11-year-old boy is in serious condition currently receiving treatment for arm and hand injuries at the Royal Hospital for Children.
An 11-year-old boy is in a stable condition currently receiving treatment for leg and head injuries at the Royal Hospital for Children.
A 14-year-old girl is currently receiving treatment at Wishaw General Hospital for serious chest injuries.
A 16-year-old boy is receiving treatment for an injury to his arm at Wishaw General Hospital.
A 13-year-old boy is being checked at the Royal Hospital for Children and is stable.
An 11-year-old boy has been kept in Wishaw General Hospital for observation and is stable.
A 19-year-old man is being treated for a knee injury at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and is stable.
A 19-year-old girl was treated for an injury to her wrist at Wishaw General Hospital and has since been released.
In addition, a 25-year-old woman who was passing-by the scene was also taken to Wishaw General Hospital for assessment but was released without any injuries. The woman was not struck by the rollercoaster train.
Police officers secured the area and scene examination professionals were on site last night. A joint investigation by Police Scotland and the Health & Safety Executive is underway.
The M&Ds theme park will remain closed until further notice.
Detective Inspector John Malcolm said: “This is a really serious incident that has affected many people visiting the theme park and our thoughts go out to those who have been injured.
“We have now launched a joint investigation with the Health & Safety Executive and our priority is to find out the cause of the incident.
“I would ask that anyone who witnessed the incident or indeed, anyone who may have video footage or photographs to get in touch with the dedicated enquiry team on 101.”
HSE principal inspector Barry Baker said: “Our thoughts are with the children and adults who have been injured in this incident and I must give praise to the emergency services and members of the public who came to their aid so quickly yesterday.
“We have brought HSE specialists in mechanical engineering to the site this morning, to begin the process of finding out what caused the gondolas to come off the rails.
“HSE will work very closely with colleagues in the police as the investigation unfolds.”