Former Viewpark man Mick dies in holiday home tragedy

Mick Travers died in holiday chalet tragedy.
Mick Travers died in holiday chalet tragedy.

A former Viewpark man died from suspected gas poisoning after calling 999 when he discovered his wife and son unconscious in their holiday home.

Mick Travers (59), was found dead at the Soonhope Farm site near Peebles.

His wife, Mary, and son Scott (31) needed hospital treatment after carbon monoxide filled the chalet where they had been on a weekend break.

It is thought Mr Travers made a 999 call after finding his wife and son, telling emergency operators she was not breathing and Scott had passed out.

But by the time help arrived, Mr Travers, a father-of-three, had collapsed and could not be revived.

Mrs Travers and Scott were rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary late on Saturday night. Mrs Travers was later described as being in a “stable” condition while Scott has been released.

Mr Travers was from a large and well-known Viewpark family. Latterly he lived in Larkhall and was the director of a building and electrical services firm.

The family also operate a bed and breakfast business, The Old School House.

Scottish Borders Council said it is investigating the tragedy.