Eight years in jail for brutal attack

James Martin's wife, Laurette, posted this photo of him in hospital after the attack.
James Martin's wife, Laurette, posted this photo of him in hospital after the attack.

A youth has been locked up for eight years for a brutal, unprovoked attack which left a dad-of-three fighting for his life.

Grant Murray (20), of Motherwell, was convicted of attempting to murder 38-year-old James Martin by kicking and stamping on him as he lay motionless on the ground.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Mr Martin’s jaw was split in two by the force of the blows.

Murray’s brother Graham (30), of Law, was convicted of assaulting Mr Martin by punching him on the head, causing him to fall, and assaulting his son Jordan by punching him on the head and body, and chasing him. He was jailed for 11 months.

Mr Martin’s wife, Laurette, posted graphic pictures of the victim in hospital on Facebook after the attack as she appealed for witnesses to come forward.

The assaults took place in High Street, Newarthill, on February 1.

The court heard Grant Murray had been out drinking, celebrating his partner becoming pregnant.

When he and his brother met Mr Martin and his son they assaulted them.

Judge Johanna Johnston QC told Grant Murray, a dad-of-one: “Mr Martin was on the ground defenceless and motionless. You did not care if the blows caused fatal injuries or not. Even when your brother tried to pull you away you continued the attack.

“This brutal attack left Mr Martin with shocking injuries. He could have died. Your behaviour was brutal and vicious.”

Jordan Martin (18) told the court he had gone to collect his dad from the pub around 10.30pm and buy snacks at a shop.

As they walked down a lane Grant Murray approached and asked James Martin for a cigarette.

When he handed one over Graham Murray came over, said “Don’t touch him” and punched Mr Martin to the ground.

His brother then carried out an assault on Mr Martin as he lay unresponsive on the ground.

Solicitor advocate Rhonda Anderson, representing plasterer Grant Murray, admitted: “This was a despicable, unprovoked attack on a defenceless man. My client was drinking from 11am that day. He expressed horror and revulsion on seeing the CCTV footage.”