Violent prisoner on the run attacked car owner

Kieran Kiely was sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow.
Kieran Kiely was sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow.

A prisoner on the run who attacked a car enthusiast before trying to steal his high performance vehicle has been jailed for four years.

Kieran Kiely (24), targeted Christopher Smith in Telford Street, Bellshill, on July 17.

Kiely, who had absconded from Castle Huntly prison, near Dundee, four days earlier, started talking to Mr Smith (37) about his prized Renault Clio 172 Sport as he tinkered under the bonnet.

He then turned violent, punching Mr Smith and smashing a half brick into his face. He demanded the car keys and threatened to stab and kill his victim.

Kiely grabbed the car keys, house keys and a mobile phone from Mr Smith’s pockets and got into the Clio.

But quick-thinking Mr Smith, who was bleeding heavily from a head wound, reached under the bonnet and put out leads which immobilised the car.

Mr Smith then ran off, shouting for help. He was chased by Kiely and when he fell he was hit repeatedly on the head with the half brick and kicked several times on the body.

Kiely returned to the car and tried repeatedly, without success, to drive off. He was still trying to start the car when the police arrived.

Mr Smith suffered bruising to his face and three wounds on his head, which will leave permanent scarring.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Kiely, believed to be from the Dumbarton area, has a number of previous convictions. Once a promising footballer, he played for Morton, Clyde and Partick Thistle reserves.

However, he was jailed in 2014 for robbing drivers of their cars at knifepoint.

This time Kiely admitted assaulting Mr Smith and attempting to rob him of his car.

Defence counsel John McElroy said: “He fully accepts he should not have been at liberty at the time.”

Mr McElroy said Kiely had absconded in order to see his grandmother who was seriously ill and added: “He understands this must have been a terrifying episode and is very remorseful. He took valium and alcohol before this incident and has no recollection of what happened.”

Judge Lord Boyd told Kiely: “This was a vicious and unprovoked attack on a man who was unknown to you and going about his lawful business.

“It must have been a terrifying ordeal.”