’Well lose in season finale

Nicky Law made his final appearance for Motherwell
Nicky Law made his final appearance for Motherwell

After last week’s party it was the morning after for Motherwell as their season ended with a damp squib in Perth on Sunday.

St Johnstone needed to win, and better Inverness’s result, to grab third in the SPL and the final European place.

Injuries to Tom Hateley and Chris Humphrey saw them miss out as Henrik Ojamaa and Fraser Kerr came in, while Lee Hollis replaced Birmingham-bound Darren Randolph.

Nicky Law had the first chance of the game as he was set up by James McFadden but his half volley was over.

On seven minutes St Johnstone had the ball in the net as Steven MacLean flicked on for Nigel Hasselbaink to drive the ball through Hollis’s legs, but was flagged offside.

Chris Millar hit the post before the home side took the lead in 36 minutes as LIAM CRAIG hit a low shot from 30 yards which beat Hollis.

’Well almost equalised right on half-time as Michael Higdon’s header was parried by Alan Mannus and Henrik Ojamaa knocked the ball over.

Two minutes after the break it was 2-0 as HASSELBAINK held off Shaun Hutchinson in the area and scuffed the ball into the net.

McFadden tried to drag his side back into it as he took on Dave Mackay but his shot was easy for Mannus and, then substitute Kallum Higginbotham looked for Kerr at the back post, but Callum Davidson got in ahead of the defender.

Murray Davidson had two chances within a minute as he crashed a volley off the bar, and then Hollis reacted sharply to push the second wide.

’Well kept looking for a goal and Hutchinson headed straight at Manus and then Lasley’s shot was deflected into the path of Higginbotham but his effort went wide due to another deflection.

At the end though the result mattered little to the away fans as with Inverness losing to Ross County both sets of supporters invaded the pitch to celebrate a fine season.

St Johnstone: Mannus, Mackay, C Davidson, Anderson, Millar, M Davidson, Craig, Hasselbaink (Tade 78), MacLean, Miller (Scobbie 81), Vine (Abeid 69).

Subs not used: Tuffey, Cregg, Edwards, Caddis.

Motherwell: Hollis, Hammell, Law, Hutchinson, Ojamaa (Daley 79), Higdon, Lasley, Ramsden, Carswell (McHugh 61), Kerr, McFadden (Higginbotham 61).

Subs not used: Randolph, Francis-Angol, Erwin, Cummins.

Referee: Steven McLean.

Attendance: 5,025.