Henderson debut off due to illness

Ross Henderson
Ross Henderson
0
Have your say

Motherwell boxer Ross Henderson was forced to postpone his professional debut on Friday due to a stomach complaint.

Henderson admits he had been feeling unwell for several weeks before he failed a British Boxing Board of Control medical on Thursday night.

He is now awaiting the results of tests and hopes it will be nothing serious so he can get in the ring on September 5.

Henderson said: “To be honest I’d been feeling pretty unwell for a while now, but I was still shocked when the board refused to let me fight.

“It’s frustrating as you want to get that first fight out of the way, but your health comes first and hopefully when the tests come back it will be nothing too serious.

“I am now looking at making my debut on September 5 at Meadowbank and if nothing else this setback will mean I am ever better prepared for stepping into the professional ranks.”

The two-times Commonwealth Games competitor followed in the footsteps of fellow Motherwell fighter Iain Butcher in joining MGM Scotland as there was nothing left for him in the amateurs.

Henderson said: “I had basically done everything there was to do in the amateurs and I also cannot give the time to going all over the world nowadays.

“I have a wee boy now, and there comes a time you can’t just leave your family to go off fighting as the mortgage and bills still need to be paid.

“It’s been brilliant since I joined MGM, they are very friendly people with the best interests of the fighters at heart and having a gym in Glasgow is ideal for me.”