MEMBERS of Uddingston Bowling and Tennis Club have marked its 150th anniversary with a civic reception.
The event was held at South Lanarkshire Council’s headquarters in Hamilton and attended by Provost Eileen Logan.
The club covers several acres of land with a double bowling green and four all-weather tennis courts, which were upgraded in 2003.
It was formed in August 1863 with 10 guineas as a grant from John Poynter, a sweet manufacturer, of Clydeneuk. His house was known as the Candyman’s Castle and was demolished 1968.
The first chairman was James Barr of Clydeside House. By coincidence, the century president was James Barr who had a sweet shop in the village.
The club commenced with a share capital of £600. The tennis section was founded in 1878 as a lawn tennis club with two courts, with the first annual fee for a junior being 7.5 pence per year.
In 1978 the club had the honour of hosting the British Isles Bowls Council Championships.
The club has been represented at international level by three players, the last of whom was John Mcrae who was the Scottish skip for eight years.
In 1974, Scotland won the bronze medal in the rinks at New Zealand, with John as the skip.
Over the years the club has had several successes at gents’ and ladies’ bowling, as well as tennis.