Safety warning as electric fire cause 
of living room blaze

Firefighters were at the scene in just six minutes.
Firefighters were at the scene in just six minutes.
0
Have your say

An electric fire appears to have been the cause of a fire at a house in Uddingston this morning.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) received a 999 call at 8.27am reporting a fire in the ground floor of a two storey house on Greenrig Street.

One appliance was mobilised from Bellshill Fire Station along with a passing vehicle from Hamilton Fire Station, with both on the scene within six minutes.

On arrival crews found a well-developed fire in the living room of the house and one woman who appeared to be suffering from slight smoke inhalation.

Four firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the room and brought the fire under control with a high pressure hose and a dry powder extinguisher.

Crews remained in place until 9.11am to ventilate the house and ensure the fire was completely out.

Two women were treated at the scene by Scottish Ambulance Service personnel, but suffered no injuries.

Watch Manager Gary McArthur, incident commander, said: “The source of this incident looks to have been an electric fire in the living room of the house.

“Every year people die and are injured in their homes as a result of fires caused by heating appliances.

“Fortunately we were able to get the people involved in this incident to safety, but it is important to remain alert around electric fires and all portable heaters.

“Keep any heater clean and well maintained and make sure that a safety guard is permanently fitted.

“Never stand too close to an electric fire and be careful not to place the appliance too close to furniture, bedding or curtains.”

To receive a home fire safety visit from SFRS or to request a smoke alarm, call Bellshill Fire Station on 01698 745959.

Alternatively, text ‘Check’ to 61611.