Man treated in hospital after kitchen blaze

Fire crews were on the scene of the Draffen Tower fire within a few minutes and provided oxygen to a casualty who was then taken to hospital.
Fire crews were on the scene of the Draffen Tower fire within a few minutes and provided oxygen to a casualty who was then taken to hospital.

A man was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke after a fire at a tower block in Motherwell.

Firefighters raced to Draffen Tower after a 999 call around 5.45pm on Tuesday. Two crews from Motherwell were joined at the scene by one from Bellshill.

Watch manager John Barr, the incident commander, said: “Our crews reached the scene within five minutes and found a small fire in the kitchen was already out.

“The firefighters provided oxygen therapy to a man who appeared to be suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.

“Following an assessment by ambulance personnel, the casualty was taken to Wishaw General Hospital for a precautionary check-up.”

The fire crews visited neighbouring flats to offer residents fire safety advice.

They pointed out that more fires begin in the kitchen than in any other room of the home. Firefighters are keen to help people recognise the risks and take action to prevent fires.

Watch manager Barr explained: “There are some very common fire hazards that many people just don’t realise exist.

“Among the dangers often seen are toasters placed underneath wall-mounted units, and kitchen roll and towels kept too close to sources of heat.

“Leaving a cooking appliance unattended while it is in use, even for a moment, could result in a potentially devastating fire taking hold.”