DCSIMG

‘Friend’ posted indecent film of girl on internet

Hamilton Sheriff Court heard of indecent videos.

Hamilton Sheriff Court heard of indecent videos.

 

A youth persuaded a 14-year-old online ‘friend’ to send him an indecent video of herself then posted it on the internet for everyone else to see.

One of the girl’s pals was shocked to see the film and reported it to her school who then alerted the police.

His behaviour four years ago has now led to 19-year-old Kyle Burns being put on the sex offenders’ register.

Burns, of Alloway Wynd, Newarthill, appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court last week. He admitted distributing or showing indecent pictures of a child between January and June 2010.

Wendy McAdam, prosecuting, said the girl, then 14, accepted an online friend request from an unknown male who turned out to be Burns. He was then 15.

Their online chats were innocent at first, but a month later Burns asked her to send him an indecent video of herself. He promised in return to send her one of him.

Ms McAdam said the girl used her mobile phone to record a one-minute clip which she posted to Burns. She duly received from him a film of an indecent act, but while her face was seen clearly in the film she sent the male in the clip Burns sent could not be identified.

Burns later e-mailed the girl to ask her to delete the film which she did. He promised to do the same, but the following month one of the girl’s friends told her the indecent film featuring her was on the internet.

Ms McAdam told the court: “The girl’s face was clearly visible and in the following weeks the video was circulated among her peers including other pupils at her school.”

Sheriff Joyce Powrie called for background reports and a risk assessment on Burns. Sentence was deferred until September and he had his bail continued.

After hearing details of the case the sheriff commented: “We live in a day of precocious 14 and 15-year-olds.”

Sheriff Powrie also expressed concern at how long the case had taken to reach court. Burns wasn’t charged until December 2011 and it was April last year before he first appeared in the dock.

More from the court in this week’s Times & Speaker, out on Wednesday.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page