Ladywell choir’s special tribute

editorial image
0
Have your say

PUPILS at Caden’s school will be hoping a chart topper is part of his legacy.

The choir at Ladywell Primary School have already rocketed into the top 10 on the iTunes download chart after releasing a song in tribute to their much missed friend.

Youngsters had recorded a Christmas CD and decided to upload their rendition of O Holy Night to the site in a bid to raise funds for charity and the school in Caden’s memory.

Although the iTunes account was only registered on Friday evening, the track was downloaded so many times that it quickly peaked at number nine.

The track, which costs 79p, has so far been downloaded almost 10,000 times, raising £3,680 for charity and £409 for the school.

Youngsters have been astounded to learn that supporters in Australia, the USA, Spain, France, New Zealand, Ireland, Italy, Canada, Germany, Sweden and Hong Kong are among those to have already downloaded the track.

Headteacher Pat Ashworth said: “As part of our fundraising efforts, the school decided to record two songs on CD for Christmas.

“The pupils then suggested we upload the choir singing O Holy Night to iTunes and, following Caden’s tragic death, to donate 90 per cent of the profits to the Meningitis Research Fund in his memory. The remaining 10 per cent will go to school funds.

“We hoped to sell a few hundred but we never expected it to go so high into the charts in such a short time.

“It’s absolutely incredible and is due to the tremendous public support shown to Caden’s family through Facebook and in the media.”

She added: “The publicity the choir have gained is incredible. It is all down to the commitment of Mr Colquhoun and assisted by Miss Campagna.

“I would like to thank everyone who has downloaded our song, and perhaps with so much support, maybe we could have a Christmas number one - that would be very special.”

Pupil Iona Thomson was delighted to design the front cover. The 11-year-old said: “I was really happy to be involved and proud that they used my drawing for the CD cover.”

Fellow pupil and choir member, Kyle Kerr (10), added: “It was great to be involved in recording this song. We were all really excited to be doing this for such a great cause.”